I made a mistake and it’s one I should have thought about. When I collected the data from FamilySearch on the number of times the O’Connell name comes up (and all its variants), I did not search for OConnell. This is a huge mistake for anyone that has carried this name since birth. For those of you that have not carried it this long, to give you a bit of perspective I have to remember how each company inputs my information into their system; space, no space and apostrophe or no apostrophe.
With each of my searches on FamilySearch I was very specific to what I wanted. For example when I searched on O’CONNELL, I only wanted the results that showed up the exact same. No fluctuation in the spelling.
What I did not search for was OCONNELL without the apostrophe. Which is why my numbers are so low. I definitely should have spent some time thinking about why the number was insignificant instead of just accepting it.
I have recently searched on FamilySearch for OCONNELL, exact to my spelling. Unfortunately, it brings up O’Connell, OConnell and O Connell. At this point, I have to figure out how I want to proceed with this specific search. Once I do that, I will update my spreadsheets with the correct numbers and then report the differences here.